Tropical storm Mahasen is forecast to strike Bangladesh as a severe cyclonic storm at about 12:00 GMT on 16 May.Data supplied by the US Navy and Air Force Joint Typhoon Warning Centersuggest that the point of landfall will be near21.1 N,91.4 E.Mahasen is expected to bring 1-minute maximum sustained winds to the region of around 129 km/h (80 mph).Wind gusts in the area may be considerably higher.
According to the Saffir-Simpson damage scale the potential property damage and flooding from a storm ofMahasen'sstrength (category 1)at landfall includes:
- Storm surge generally 1.2-1.5 metres (4-5 feet) above normal.
- No real damage to building structures.
- Damage primarily to unanchored mobile homes, shrubbery, and trees.
- Some damage to poorly constructed signs.
- Some coastal road flooding and minor pier damage.
The information above is provided for guidance only and should not be used to make life or death decisions or decisions relating to property. Anyone in the region who is concerned for their personal safety or property should contact their official national weather agency or warning centre for advice.
This alert is provided by TropicalStorm Risk (TSR) which is sponsored by Aon Benfield, Crawford & Company and University College London (UCL).