* Any views expressed in this article are those of the author and not of Thomson Reuters Foundation.
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 46 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.
Since 2004 MDM has been implementing the program” Healing the wounds of domestic violence in Dar Ul Amans’ setting of Punajb” in partnership with the government of Social Welfare Department of the province.
Over the past years, MdM’s intervention went through different stages in order to ensure the DUAs residents have systematic access to a full package of services (medical, legal, psychological and recreational) and to build the capacities of the Social Welfare staff for the sustainability of the services.
The 2013 – 2014 project phase (18 months) will be the completion of a whole process that started in 2004. The main objective is to ensure SWD’s ownership and capability to continue what has been done so far in collaboration with MdM.
MdM also runs a primary health care project in the KPK province. Both KPK and Punjab projects are supervised by a Country Coordination made of a General Coordinator, Administrative Coordinator and Logistics Coordinator based in Islamabad.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
You will ensure In the position of Punjab Site coordinator you are responsible for overall management of the Dar-ul-Amman (DUA) program in Punjab covering the full DUA Program and supervising and guiding the coordination team based in Lahore. Due to the context in Pakistan one of your main responsibilities is security management. You report to the Desk Officer based in Paris and work in close relationship with the general coordinator of the MdM team based in Islamabad.
The FieldCo is under the line management of the Country General coordinator.
Under the supervision of MdM Country General Coordinator in Pakistan and in interaction with the Country Administrative Coordinator and Country Logistics Coordinator:
- S/he is in charge of management, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of the program in line with MdM mandate and framework, project strategy and budget as well as donors’ agreements.
- S/he manages the national team, organizes and provides where necessary training of core team members. S/he ensures MdM human resources policy and processes as per staff recruitment and management are implemented according to MdM Pakistan mission’s standards.
- S/he supervises the leading of group dynamic and the work’s coordination. S/he ensures the quality of the project’s general climate and of working relations.
- S/he takes part in the design of the project’s strategy in relation with the General Coordinator, Desk Officer, Associative referent (Mission Responsible). During the first semester of 2014, s/he will be in charge of assessing new opportunities for MdM to start a project beyond the ongoing one and design a full project proposal accordingly.
- S/he ensures the project’s implementation complies with MdM mechanisms and regulations in all sectors. S/he is in charge of the program's technical assessments and supervises the proper implementation of activities in the field. S/he organizes regular program reviews with field teams and stakeholders if relevant so that to identify lessons learnt and constraints and adjusts implementation modalities accordingly.
- S/he coordinates, assesses and analyses problems and needs at base and field level and provides the relevant support on all components of the project’s management (institutional, gender based violence, women rights, financial, administrative, legal, security, logistics and human resources).
- S/he is in charge of the security of the project and teams in Punjab. In this regard, s/he manages the Punjab security pool and takes measures accordingly. S/he ensures the security guidelines and mechanisms are well known and respected by all staff members of the Punjab team. S/he makes the assessment and analysis of the general context and informs the GenCo accordingly.
- S/he is in charge of liaising with Punjab stakeholders and partners NGOs in coordination with the key staff members so that to ensure the proper implementation of activities as well as the field team safety.
- S/he carries the financial responsibility of the mission and oversees/prepares the annual budget and budget reporting in coordination with the Administrative Coordinator and Head Quarter.
- S/he provides monthly reporting to GenCo according to requirements.
- S/he prepares donors reporting and funding proposal requests where applicable.
- S/he represents MdM.
- The Field Coordinator will also have regular interactions with the MDM Desk Officer and the associative referent (Mission Responsible) in coordination with the General Coordina
Conditions of Employment:
- Starting: ASAP
- Duration: 12 months (renewable)
- Contract : EMPLOYEE (French contract)
- Short term contract
- Accompanied posting possible, without children
Skills and Experience Needed:
You will be committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and be motivated by its non-statutory, Not-For-Profit model
- Graduate/ master in social sciences, human rights law, international law or other relevant advanced degree.
- Previous experience of international humanitarian and/or development in managing and coordinating programs with more than 30 staff members is compulsory. Experience in multi-discipline program management with in a complex operating environment. Experience in security management. Experience in HR management.
- Strong skills in full scope of program planning, implementation and monitoring as well as human resources, security and budget management.
- Project manager, team manager, security manager, analytical, problem-solver, good communicator, liaison capacities, pragmatic, thorough and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work in highly stressful environment and situations.
- Ability and flexibility to travel to different district locations in Punjab on a regular basis and throughout Pakistan whenever necessary.
- Ability to work in security context that can imply restricted movements and involves strong security and safety regulations.
- Strong knowledge of the Pakistan context
- Languages: FluentEnglish (oral and written) mandatory
To apply this position, please send a resume and a cover letter via this link.
To have a look at all our vacancies.
« MdM reserves the right to close any vacancy before the advertised deadline. Thank you for your understanding. »