Worker at Newmont Peru joint venture kidnapped then freed-spokesman

by Reuters
Friday, 17 January 2014 15:02 GMT

Jan 17 (Reuters) - Protesters in northern Peru abducted a contract security worker at Newmont Mining Corp's Conga project on Thursday and held him until the early hours of Friday morning, a spokesman for the U.S. miner's Peruvian joint venture said on Friday.

Yanacocha, controlled by Newmont, owns the huge Yanacocha gold mine as well as nearby Conga, a copper-gold project that has been the focus of years of sometimes violent unrest.

Yanacocha spokesman Roberto Del Águila said in an interview the worker had been released. A statement from the venture said authorities had been notified.

Newmont halted Conga's construction in 2011, saying it would focus on winning the support of local communities.

Peruvian miner Buenaventura has a 43.65 percent stake in the venture.

Latest News
Comments Close
Worker at Newmont Peru joint venture kidnapped then freed-spokesman

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus