U.S. to seek death penalty for accused marathon bomber Tsarnaev

by Reuters
Thursday, 30 January 2014 19:23 GMT

WASHINGTON, Jan 30 (Reuters) - Accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should be put to death if he is found guilty of planting bombs that killed three people and wounded 264 last year, the U.S. government's chief prosecutor said on Thursday.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement that he was authorizing trial prosecutors to seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev, who is charged with committing one of the largest attacks on U.S. soil since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

"The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision," Holder said. (Reporting by David Ingram; Editing by James Dalgleish)

Latest News