(Updates with opening statements delayed until Friday)
By Colleen Jenkins
FORT BRAGG, N.C., March 6 (Reuters) - A U.S. Army general will plead guilty on Thursday to military crimes of having an adulterous affair, seeking nude photos of junior officers and possessing pornography while deployed in Afghanistan, his lawyers said.
Brigadier General Jeffrey Sinclair, the defendant in a rare court-martial against a top U.S. military officer, will continue to fight charges that he sexually assaulted a female captain during their three-year relationship.
Sinclair's defense team announced his plans late Wednesday. The news delayed lawyers' opening statements, which had been scheduled to begin on Thursday at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
The jury of five two-star generals who will decide the one-star general's guilt on the remaining charges was dismissed until Friday morning.
"Something has come up," the trial judge, Colonel James Pohl, told jurors, asking them not to speculate about the reason for the delay.
The U.S. government alleges Sinclair, 51, a married father of two sons, twice forced an unmarried captain 17 years his junior to perform oral sex.
Prosecutors say he used his superior rank to prevent the woman from ending their sexual relationship and threatened to kill her or her family if she exposed the affair.
Sinclair is accused of indecent conduct by having sex with the captain in public places, including in a car in Germany, on a hotel balcony in Arizona and in an office with the door open in Afghanistan, the government said.
The general denies committing any sex crimes and could be sent to prison for life if convicted of the most serious charge, forcible sodomy.
Should the judge approve Sinclair's guilty pleas on some of the lesser offenses, the general will still face allegations that include misuse of a government credit card for personal purposes and referring to female staff officers with derogatory language.
Sinclair's defense attorneys say military leaders trying to look tough on sex crimes have pursued the case despite weak evidence and allegations made by a jilted ex-lover with questionable credibility.
They argue that text messages between the two soldiers reveal mutual affection and a romance that unraveled due to the woman's jealousy.
"The remainder of the case is remarkably weak," lead defense attorney Richard Scheff said before court on Thursday. "He'll get acquitted, and we'll walk out.
"They have the testimony of one person who has been utterly discredited at every turn," Scheff added.
A military spokesman said prosecutors would reserve their comments for the courtroom.
The trial takes place as Pentagon officials are under orders from President Barack Obama to review how the military handles sex crimes after a spike in incidents of non-consensual sexual contact. Congress is debating a proposal to transfer the power to decide whether to try sexual assault cases from military commanders to an independent military prosecutor.
Sinclair was stripped of his command in southern Afghanistan in May 2012 as a result of the criminal allegations and remains on active duty at Fort Bragg. (Reporting by Colleen Jenkins; Editing by Scott Malone, Ken Wills and Dan Grebler)
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.