Community events will inspire women and celebrate achievements
Bangkok, 8 March 2014 – Nearly 30 Habitat for Humanity affiliates and offices around the world will honor International Women’s Day today by participating in community service projects and events, including building and repairing homes, lectures and fundraisers.
“Around the world, women are an integral part of Habitat for Humanity’s mission — as community leaders, volunteers, homeowners, and donors,” said Jonathan Reckford, CEO of Habitat for Humanity International. “We join the international community in recognizing this special day through events that celebrate the many ways women help further Habitat’s mission to create a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live.”
On average, women are disproportionately impacted by inadequate and unsafe housing. International Women's Day calls attention to the plight of women struggling to provide decent shelter for their families while celebrating the achievements women have made in breaking the cycle of poverty through proper shelter.
Some Habitat events taking place around the world to honor International Women’s Day include:
• Habitat for Humanity International’s Women Build staff brought together guest speakers to Habitat's headquarters in Americus, Ga., on March 7 to discuss the plight of women struggling to provide adequate shelter for their families and proper education for their children.
• Habitat for Humanity India is hosting a weeklong Women Build event in one of Delhi's slum resettlement colonies. The build will culminate with a Women's Day celebration today.
• In Bangladesh, a one-day Women Build event is planned today with participants from embassies and local education institutions.
• Habitat for Humanity Malaysia is hosting a build in Selangor state – near Kuala Lumpur – today in partnership with Pfizer.
• Habitat for Humanity Costa Rica is hosting an awareness and fundraising event in San Rafael de Heredia today, complete with live music and children's activities.
Taking place every March 8, International Women’s Day is a global day of recognition and celebration connecting women from around the world. Thousands of events are held throughout the world to inspire women and celebrate their achievements.