University of Connecticut issues all-clear after bomb threat

by Reuters
Thursday, 3 April 2014 17:58 GMT

(Updates with no bomb found)

April 3 (Reuters) - Police found no evidence of explosive devices in a search of a building on the University of Connecticut's campus outside Hartford following a bomb threat earlier on Thursday, and students and staff were cleared to return to the premises.

The administrative building had been evacuated following the threat, received at 9:12 a.m. EDT (1312 GMT), and a police search of the premises yielded "no credible threat," according to a posting on the university Web site.

Spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said the threat had come outside the university and that the building contained no classrooms or dorms.

On a typical day, there are about 20,000 students and staff at the school's main campus in Storrs, Connecticut, about 28 miles (45 km) east of Hartford, Reitz said. (Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Bernadette Baum)

Latest News