Pro-Russian rebel says 30-35 separatists dead in fighting in east Ukraine

by Reuters
Tuesday, 27 May 2014 06:52 GMT

DONETSK, Ukraine, May 27 (Reuters) - A pro-Russian rebel said on Tuesday he believed about 30 to 35 separatists had been killed so far in nearly 24 hours of fighting with Ukrainian forces in Ukraine's eastern city of Donetsk.

The rebel, who was in his 30s and gave no name, spoke to Reuters as he and about a dozen comrades drove off from a morgue near the centre of Donetsk, where the separatists have been battling Ukrainian forces after seizing the city's international airport on Monday.

It was the first indication of a death toll on either side in the latest bout of violence, which erupted a day after Ukrainians voted for a new president in an election which the separatists managed to block in much of the Donetsk region.

(Reporting by Sabina Zawadzki, writing by Gareth Jones; Editing by Richard Balmforth)

Latest News
Comments Close
Pro-Russian rebel says 30-35 separatists dead in fighting in east Ukraine

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus