COFCO says second person dies following Argentina port blast

by Reuters
Friday, 29 December 2017 14:05 GMT

BUENOS AIRES, Dec 29 (Reuters) - A second person has died following Wednesday's explosion at a grains terminal owned by China's COFCO International in Argentina's Rosario grains shipping hub, the company said in a statement on Friday.

COFCO said the employee had been hospitalized in critical condition following the blast and died Friday morning. It said seven people remain in the hospital, including two in intensive care, and one of the injured has been released.

Grain-crushing workers continued a 48-hour strike on Friday they had started in response to the blast, impacting the flow of food exports from Argentina, the world's largest exporter of soy meal and one of the world's largest shippers of raw corn and soybeans. Unions representing port workers also are striking.

Authorities are investigating to determine the cause of the explosion.

Guillermo Wade, manager of the Chamber of Port and Maritime Activities, said export activities throughout the port remained paralyzed. Operations at COFCO's storage and crushing facility, which receives 27,000 tonnes of grains per day, remained suspended and it was not clear when they would resume, the company said. (Reporting by Hugh Bronstein and Maximilian Heath; Writing by Luc Cohen; Editing by Bill Trott)

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.