Death toll in migrant ship disaster off Tunisia rises to 72

by Reuters
Friday, 12 July 2019 12:44 GMT

An African migrant who, a government source and the Tunisian Red Crescent said, was rescued after the boat he was travelling capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the Tunisian Coast, lies inside a local Red Crescent chapter in Zarzis, Tunisia in this picture obtained by Reuters July 4, 2019. Mongi Slim/Social Media via REUTERS

Image Caption and Rights Information

TUNIS, July 12(Reuters) - The death toll from a ship packed with migrants that sank off the Tunisian coast last week has risen to 72, the Tunisian Red Crescent said on Friday.

The organisation believes that the eventual toll could be higher than 80, which would make it one of the worst migrant boat disasters to date. The boat capsized after setting off for Europe from neighbouring Libya. (Reporting by Tarek Amara Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.