* Any views expressed in this article are those of the author and not of Thomson Reuters Foundation.
ROME/PORT VILA – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is supporting the Government of Vanuatu’s food distributions in priority areas to feed survivors of Tropical Cyclone Pam in Vanuatu.
• The government aims to provide assistance to all 162,000 people estimated affected by the storm. WFP is supplementing government food packages with rice and biscuits fortified with vitamins and minerals over the coming weeks. Further ahead, WFP expects to provide assistance for several months for those who were most severely affected by the storm.
• So far, food packages have been dispatched from Port Vila to six priority islands in Shefa Province and to Tanna Island in Tafea Province. Further island dispatches are planned. An Australian military aircraft with almost 50 metric tons of WFP fortified biscuits is on its way from the Philippines to Port Vila.
• WFP, which leads the humanitarian community's logistics and telecommunications services, has brought to Vanuatu equipment and team members to handle receiving, storing and transport of relief items, as well as satellite and solar equipment to help re-establish contact with island communities.
• On the weekend, the WFP-managed United Nations Humanitarian Relief Depot in Dubai sent in generators, hygiene kits and other emergency equipment on behalf of WFP and humanitarian partners.
• WFP needs a total of US$7.73 million for food, logistics and telecommunications operations over the next three months. WFP is grateful for contributions received from the Government of Australia and the Office of United States Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance, as well as logistical support in the form of cargo aircraft made available by the Government of Australia and the Government of the United Arab Emirates.
# # #
WFP video and photos from Vanuatu are available at the below links. To view WFP video (streaming link): http://content.jwplatform.com/videos/fi4vXm8T-owG8ISvN.mp4 To download broadcast-quality WFP video: https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRTRGx5eFVVVG1xV2NUQw To download WFP photos: https://www.yousendit.com/download/UlRTRGx5eFVOMUJWeHNUQw
WFP is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. Each year, WFP assists some 80 million people in around 75 countries.
Follow us on Twitter @wfp_media, @wfp_asia
For more information please contact: (first name.last firstname.lastname@example.org) Victoria Cavanagh, WFP/Vanuatu, Mob. +678-546-9846 Silke Buhr, WFP/Bangkok, Mob. +66-81-701-9208 Zoie Jones, WFP/Rome, Tel. +39 06 6513 3940, Mob: +39 342 902 5566 Gregory Barrow, WFP/London, Tel. +44 20 72409001, Mob. +44 7968 008474 Bettina Luescher, WFP/New York, Tel. +1-646-5566909, Mob. +1-646-8241112