Potential candidates to head Indonesian anti-graft agency emerge
BANGKOK (TrustLaw) – The Indonesian government on Monday opened registration for people wanting to head the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK), which has sweeping powers and has already arrested governors, former ministers, regents and central bankers, the Jakarta Post reported.
While there were no registrations on Monday, a number of people have expressed interest, including investigation director of Indonesian Procurement Watch, Hayie Muhammad, and attorney Farhat Abbas.
“Seventy percent of the corruption cases in this country involve procurement, which I really understand: how it works, what the modus operandi is,” Muhammad told the Post.
“I have at least 12 years of experience in anticorruption activism, so I am pretty sure about this. Within 10 days I’ll submit my application.”
The registration would be open for 14 days, a member of the selection committee told the paper.
KPK, established in 2002, is a powerful body that has gone head-to-head with Indonesia’s powerful families and politicians and has faced numerous attacks.
Last year, two top KPK officials were accused of graft and abuse of power but were later exonerated and the attorney general’s office said the charges had been fabricated.
Its former chief Antasari Azhar was detained in May 2009 and found guilty of ordering the murder of a businessman. He has denied the charges and is appealing the court's decision.
Analysts said the charges had caused the KPK to lose confidence and run out of steam.
The term of the current KPK leadership, led by Busyro Muqqodas, will end on December 18 this year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.