×

Our award-winning reporting has moved

Context provides news and analysis on three of the world’s most critical issues:

climate change, the impact of technology on society, and inclusive economies.

Pakistan rejects "baseless" accusations over India border deaths

by Reuters
Tuesday, 6 August 2013 11:05 GMT

ISLAMABAD, Aug 6 (Reuters) - Pakistan rejected allegations of its involvement in Tuesday's attack on Indian soldiers as "baseless and unfounded", saying it was committed to its ceasefire promises and wanted to resume peace talks with India soon.

"Our military authorities have confirmed that there had been no exchange of fire that could have resulted in such an incident," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement. "These are baseless and unfounded allegations."

"Pakistan is committed to a constructive, sustained and result-oriented process of engagement with India and looks forward to an early resumption of the dialogue process."

India said five of its soldiers were killed in an ambush by about 20 people and others in Pakistan Army uniforms. It summoned Pakistan's deputy envoy to New Delhi in protest.

(Writing by Maria Golovnina; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

-->