×

Our award-winning reporting has moved

Context provides news and analysis on three of the world’s most critical issues:

climate change, the impact of technology on society, and inclusive economies.

Toll from Pakistan quake reaches 327 people - officials

by Reuters
Wednesday, 25 September 2013 11:42 GMT

The rubble of a house is seen after it collapsed following the quake in the town of Awaran, southwestern Pakistani province of Baluchistan, September 25, 2013. REUTERS/Sallah Jan

Image Caption and Rights Information

QUETTA, Pakistan, Sept 25 (Reuters) - The death toll from a powerful earthquake in southwestern Pakistan rose to 327 people on Wednesday, local officials said.

"Two hundred and eighty five bodies have so far been recovered in the Awaran district," Abdul Rasheed Gogazai, the deputy commissioner of Awaran, the worst affected area, told Reuters.

"And 42 bodies were found in the neighbouring Kech district," he added.

Tuesday's earthquake of magnitude 7.7 struck Baluchistan, a huge earthquake-prone province of deserts and rugged mountains, and was felt across South Asia.

Pakistan's army airlifted hundreds of soldiers to help with the aftermath of the worst earthquake in the South Asian country since 2005, when about 75,000 people were killed in the north of the country.

(Reporting by Gul Yusufzai; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

-->